[QUOTE=Seadweller;1962030]Greetings,

It's been a while since I've been on the board, and I'm helping a friend make a pair of speakers using the Great Plains 604-8H II driver...I've tried the Yuki X-over, the Markwart X-over, and 5 or 6 variations of other crossovers, none of which rid the driver of the honk/beaming characteristics in the vocal ranges...

Have there been any advances in crossover design that smooth the 604-8H II out in that critical midrange area where the woofer crosses over to the horn? Through extensive testing and listening, it's the woofer that causing the beaming/honking, so is there a way to "notch" that out with a proper filter design? Has Has anyone been successful?

Seadweller scribbled..


"Through extensive testing and listening, it's the woofer that causing the beaming/honking, so is there a way to "notch" that out with a proper filter design? Has Has anyone been successful?"


Try hanging A beech towel top to bottom in the cabinet behind the 604 to help
damp internal reflections.......GC